The Name Change Hokey Pokey

So as I’ve mentioned, I’ve finally finalized the government parts of my name change. I received my social security card in the mail yesterday and my new driver’s licence has been in my wallet a few days now. It got me to thinking about all of the places I need to change it, so I thought that I might share some knowledge and maybe save someone else the hassle of making their own list. Or at least give people a place to start. So here’s my, hopefully (for my own sake) comprehensive list of places that are going to need record of your name change. This is also mostly in order of importance. Continue reading The Name Change Hokey Pokey


Gender Change with Social Security

The Social Security Administration has a pretty convoluted list of documents they’ll accept for a gender change. See FAQ here for more on that, but to narrow it down a little, they want to see one of the following:

  • Full-validity, 10-year U.S. passport showing the new gender;
  • State-issued amended birth certificate showing the new gender;
  • Court order directing legal recognition of change of gender;
  • Medical certification of appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition in the form of an original letter from a licensed physician. The document must have enough biographical data (e.g., name and date of birth) to clearly identify you.

Continue reading Gender Change with Social Security